So last night Google announced that it is launching a new operating system to rival Microsoft. Google started life as a simple search engine focused on the quality of search results, with minimal advertising on its home page, and it grew its user base through good old word-of-mouth. Today it is a monster brand which has expanded into a plethora of web based areas which help most office based workers do their jobs.
“Speed, simplicity and security are the key aspects of Google Chrome OS. We’re designing the OS to be fast and lightweight, to start up and get you onto the web in a few seconds. The user interface is minimal to stay out of your way, and most of the user experience takes place on the web. And as we did for the Google Chrome browser, we are going back to the basics and completely redesigning the underlying security architecture of the OS so that users don’t have to deal with viruses, malware and security updates. It should just work.”
Five ways Google helps me to do my job as a social media specialist:
- Google and Google Toolbar – In my opinion it is still the best search engine
- Google Mail – use it for a number of email accounts
- Google Analytics – use this to analyse posts and content on this blog
- Feedburner – I use this service to stay on top of my subscribers
- Google Reader – I have used this although personally I prefer Feedemon to read my favourite blog posts
There are many questions still to be answered about the new system but if it is good as its other services I may well consider making the switch myself.
So the question is would you change to Google’s new system and use it rather than Windows?